Thursday, February 18, 2010

Retro Fetish

There comes a point in every man's life when it is time to reorganise your cd collection. Having recently filled up my second cd wallet (consider the concept of a chicken wallet for a minute... done? onward!) I decided it was time to ditch some of the Golden Oldies that I've been lugging along with me from gig to gig.

Having recently suffered a hard-drive crash as well as the loss of my track-listing folder, I've found it difficult to find what classics are on my earliest cd's from late 2007, however after discovering my old iPod I was stoked to find the lists of toons I'd originally frothed over at the time of their release. Artists like Sebastian, Soulwax, Crookers and Bloody Beetroots featured heavily, a true sign of the Ed Banger domination that was apparent during the summer of '08. But honestly yuck. I'm really not keen on any of that anymore.

The problem with those songs is that they had no staying power. While sure, they can evoke a memory of nights at tank (remember when that was cool?) but an inherent lack of musicality (is that a word?) in their style means that they're quickly forgotten and passed over by most.

What I have for you however, are some of the gems and forgotten d-floor bombs that in my opinion have stood the test of time.

Hounds of love (Phones Remix) - The Futureheads
The most played song on my iTunes. Classic indie song made dancey. Featured on the 2008 Bang Gang album.

As Above, So Below (Justice Remix) - Klaxons
OMFG tune. This is a good friend of mines tune of the year from 2008 and 2009. This song is frequently discussed in discussions of the best work by Justice. Another classic instance of indie made dance.

Heart it race's (Trizzy's 'tin can' Remix) - Architecture in Helsinki
Trizzy is another name used by A-Trak from back in the day. Takes another indie anthem from what seems like forever ago and makes it a jumpy afro classic. Get some.

Tulips (Minotaur Shock Remix) - Bloc Party
This gem was actually the secret song on the 'Silent Alarm Remixed' album from Bloc Party. If you haven't heard this than I urge you to give it a listen as it is one of the few songs over the last few years in which the remix has upheld and increased in the emotion inherent in the original. Absolute choon. Little thoughts.

Working Together (Boys Noize Vox Mix) - Gonzales
Second most played song in my iTunes library and favourite song of '08. Boys Noize is pretty rubbish now. He's still a talent but only rookies still dig that vibe. I feel sorry for anybody who's paying money to see him and Housemeister play at the forum (Housemeister being one of the most rubbish people ever but at least he's not popular).

Never felt like this (Phone's Remix) - Shanzay Lewis
Something completely different, and I'm yet to find an occasion for this song just yet but check it out if you like pop.

Paramount Rogerseventytwo Remix) - Dj DLG
Big tune from two fantastic artists.

Busta Gasolina (Hunch Mix) - Young MC vs. Bon de role
Hunch a.k.a Max Smart a.k.a me actually made this mash up while pissed with a mate in early 2008. Took me about 5 minutes but it's actually pretty decent. Check it out. Great way to bang out a classic.

That's pretty much it. I'd love to hear from anyone if you've got any memories of any of these songs. They've definitely helped shape my musical interests over the past few years.

Peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment