Thursday, July 8, 2010

It's good to have friends...

I checked the inbox the other day for the first time in about 2 weeks to find circa 200 new emails. I planned on filtering through them, but most of them are labelled 'New Mash-Up' or are form artists who choose to spell their DJ moniker phonetically. I am very judgmental when it comes to names now. It saves me opening the email and then using my bandwidth only to discover more shit house music. But I did find some solid gold.



Computer Magic, or Danielle Johnson, is a Brooklyn-based DJ and producer. She's 21 years young and recently decided to ditch the college pursuits (temporarily) and lay down some tracks. This is a good thing.

I love her sound. Very raw, emotive and incredibly up-beat at the same time. The vocals are heavily filtered which only adds to the dream-like feel the tracks produce. The overall product is thoroughly enjoyable, and does follow in the footsteps of those who tread the Neon Indian 'Dream Wave' road - but that is not to say Computer Magic isn't awesome. She most definitely is. Electronic Fences is my pick of her assorted tracks, but I'll throw in another one. I'm a nice guy.

Downtown is Broken - Computer Magic

Electronic Fences - Computer Magic

Check out Danielle on her Myspace or preferably her Soundcloud. Everyone knows Myspace is shit now compared to SoundCloud.

Peace and Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment